FORMERLY KNOWN AS OUR "NOURISH" BLEND
OUr 100% botanical skincare solutions offer the best that nature provides!
This green tea based serum is packed with plant-powered nutrients!
What exactly is "oil cleansing"? If you’re new to the oil cleansing method (OCM), you might be a little skeptical about using oil to wash your face. The basic idea is “like dissolves like”, meaning similar molecules attract and help to break up and disperse each other. Unlike a soap- based cleanser for your face that might be too harsh and drying for some skin types, oil cleansing utilizes a specific combination of carrier and essential oils to dissolve the dirt, sebum and impurities in your pores by attracting the skin’s oily buildup, purging and carrying them away. It detoxes the pores, balances sebum production, hydrates and smooths skin. Believe it or not, this is actually a great cleansing method for oily and acne prone skin because it breaks the cycle of stripping skin of its natural oils. Oil balance is so important to the health of your skin! You don't want to strip your skin completely of its natural oils which are needed to moisturize, heal and protect skin. On top of that, your skin has a natural microbiome... billions of friendly bacteria which we call skin flora, just like our guts have! The microbiome is like your skin's natural eco-system which keeps skin healthy and protected. Studies have actually shown that an unbalanced microbiome can contribute to skin conditions like eczema and dermatitis. Wiping out or disturbing your microbiome with harsh products or stripping cleansers can have an adverse effect on the health of your skin. So this method can also work great with all skin types. And it can be highly customized for specific skin types; in fact, it truly shines (see what I did there? LOL) when the correct oils and ratios are thoughtfully blended. We’ve customized this blend to work best with all skin types.
What's in this blend?
- Green tea (camellia sinensis) oil is rich in plant polyphenols and antioxidants, including EGCG, which can help decrease oil production in sebaceous glands and thus balance sebum. Its caffeine and tannin content offers vasoconstricting qualities that help shrink pores and lessen skin redness.
- Grapeseed oil is a very cleansing carrier oil with astringent qualities, making it a wonderful ally for acne-prone skin. It's is a lightweight and fast-absorbing oil known for its anti-inflammatory properties owing to its high tannin and phytosterol content. Great for smoothing wrinkles and fine lines, improving barrier repair and toning the tissues.
- Evening Primrose oil is a rich source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) that offers strong skin cell regeneration, softening & smoothing qualities; improves epidermal barrier function by lowering trans-epidermal water loss; a wonderful ally for eczema and dry, itchy skin.
- Jojoba oil's unique composition makes it very similar to our skin's natural sebum and therefore helps to balance sebum production.. Its unique fatty acid composition offers powerful anti-inflammatory benefits making it useful in the care of irritated and inflamed skin.
- Calendula oil helps speed up wound healing making it useful for sore, inflamed, irritated skin conditions. Powerful antioxidants neutralize free radicals to prevent damage and reduce the appearance of fine lines, hyperpigmentation and dullness.
- Black Raspberry seed oil, similar to its cousin red raspberry seed oil, is one of nature's most potent antioxidants. Rich in ellagic acids, which are known to kill acne-causing bacteria and is super soothing to skin lesions, rashes, rosacea, and eczema. Black raspberry is high in linoleic and linolenic acids which have anti-inflammatory and regenerative properties, assist in skin barrier function and repair, and lead to hydrated, soft and moisturized skin. An excellent ally for sensitive, dry, dehydrated and mature skin.
- Polyglyceryl 3 oleate is a mono-ester of oleic acid and a glycerin polymer that acts as an oil soluble emulsifier, transforming oil into a creamy milk in the presence of water that nourishes your skin as it cleanses.
- Our synergistic essential oil combination helps balance skin issues with gentle, skin soothing lavender, chamomile, clary sage, bergamot & carrot seed.
How do I use it? To use this oil cleanser, disperse a quarter sized amount onto your fingertips. Massage the oil onto dry skin for at least a few minutes, giving extra attention to any facial zones that are particularly oily or dry, moving in upward circular and outward motions. Not only is this step super relaxing, it helps to stimulate the skin's circulation, and it's absolutely crucial to proper cleansing. This is the perfect opportunity to give your face a little extra attention and release tension in the jaw and brow areas. No need to remove your makeup beforehand – watch the magic happen! The oil will loosen up any foundation or eye makeup. Take your time, letting the cleansing oil work in deeply to loosen debris and hardened sebum.
After massaging, wet a clean washcloth with warm to hot water and squeeze out excess. The steam action will help loosen the oil and sebum for easy removal. Gently hold the washcloth over your entire face and let the warmth penetrate your pores. Gently wipe (don't scrub!) with the cloth in circular and outward motions. You can run the cloth under the hot water again if you need to wash away some of the dirt and oil before continuing to wipe. Continue to gently wipe until all the oil cleanser has been removed. Repeat as desired. When you’re done, your skin should feel soft, dewy and supple, but not oily.
Once the oil cleanser is completely removed, pat your face dry and continue with your regular skincare routine. If you're new to this method and are swapping out your conventional cleanser, your skin may need some time to adjust and may start to show signs of detoxification with a breakout here or there, but after several sessions of oil cleansing, you should notice a huge difference. Just give it time and trust the process! Give it a full 2-3 weeks to fully adjust. Your skin will feel less congested, brighter and less irritated. When done correctly, most people find oil cleansing to be a game-changer for their skin health!
Ingredients: Green tea (camellia sinensis) oil, Jojoba oil, Evening Primrose oil, Grapeseed oil, Polyglyceryl 3 oleate, Calendula officinalis flower extract in Extra Virgin olive oil, Black raspberry seed oil, Castor oil, Mixed tocopherols (Vitamin E oil), Rosemary antioxidant, Essential oils of: Lavender, Bergamot, Geranium, Clary Sage, Carrot seed, German Chamomile & Rosemary verbenone
This listing for one 2oz glass pump-top bottle
Emerald Elixir Oil Cleansing Treatment Serum
How often should you oil cleanse? This is going to be a little different for everyone and it's best to pay close attention to your skin and use your intuition. Oil cleansing is very deep and detoxifying, but also very nourishing and moisturizing. Having said that, not everyone needs to cleanse like this every day. I suggest starting with every other day to every 2 days to find your sweet spot. Increase or decrease as needed. Over-cleansing can actually weaken the skin barrier, so even with OCM, less is more. Cleansing just once a day before bedtime is usually sufficient for healthy, balanced skin. What to use on off days or for your morning routine? Use an alternative natural cleanser of your choice, including one of our skin-type specific super gentle facial bars, or just spritz with a splash of cool water and/or a complexion-specific toner.